Last weekend: When we proved (to ourselves, at least) that post-offspring-spontaneity is not dead.
So here’s the scene, diaper and milk powder supplies were running low. Like any Singaporean family, we had to make a quick dash in to JB to stock up for the impending apocalypse (i.e., a catastrophic* event where cloth diapers are involved).
* 10 months in, Sam’s poo now smells like the zoo, specifically the zebra enclosure – if you’ve been there specially to appreciate the aromas. Some days, tardiness in taking out the trash results in… fermented Sam’s poo.
Mid-way through lunch at Nando’s (because Singaporeans can’t get Nando’s in Singapore), we decided, on a whim, that it was an excellent idea to stay the night in JB. We had with us our diaper bag^ containing (aka Surviving-JB-with-a-child guide):
- The clothes on our back + 1 extra top (but hey, never mind what the parents have / need)
- 2 milk bottles
- 2 rompers (we keep handy in the diaper bag)
- 1 baby hoodie
- some baby snacks
^stroller and baby carrier not included in the bag.
We had no choice(I know right!?) but to book a premium room at the Renaissance hotel (which we highly recommend by the way – there’s also plenty of street food in the immediate vicinity). WHAT A LAST MINUTE DECISION IT WAS! The free food and drinks (including wine and beer) at the lounge were a nice bonus!
irresponsible considerate parents hiding in the lounge to play with phones cos the baby was already in bed.
Photo showing responsible parents having supper in the toilet so baby is always supervised.
We enjoyed this trip thoroughly and even learnt a few things along the way. Specifically:
- Hotel toilets ARE decent places to have supper – flush before use.
- We require surprisingly few things to make things work – excess only temporarily allays your worries/fears
- Always pack an extra phone charger with you – saves the hassle of charging from the TV’s USB port
- Your life doesn’t have to, and should not revolve around your offspring (or does it?)
- This new generation will probably NOT know
why we ‘pick up the phone’what a telephone is.
We are headed to Taiwan next weekend. See you guys on the other side…